Sunday, March 30, 2008

No Country For Silly Video Store Girls...Pfft...



I finally watched No Country For Old Men last night. One word to describe it? STUNNING. It was just an amazing movie. The Coen Brothers are obviously really great directors, but they really did it in this one.

So my first thought was at the video store last night with my boyfriend, "What movie should we pick up?" There were a few that I had seen that my boyfriend hadn't, but then as we went down the New Release Aisle, there it was. I thought, "I'm not going to watch this alone, because I've heard it's about a crazy guy randomly shooting people." So...I said, "How about this one?" I'd heard great things about it and it only won like 5 Academy Awards (lol) so we both decided to go for it.

We get up to the cash register and the blonde high schooler says, "I don't want to impose...but this movie is really bad." I pretty much was like, WTF? "Yeeeeah...almost everyone who has rented it has told me it's really bad." So my boyfriend and I looked at eachother and he says, "Well, we've been warned, let's go for it." All I could think was, what a retard, seriously, maybe I won't like it, but I work at a record store, well, our sales are mostly in DVD now, but besides the fact, No Country For Old Men did wonderfully in sales. Why would people BUY it if it was a bad movie? Why would all of my friends tell me it was really good then? Pfft...

So we put the disc in the DVD player and watch away and like 20 minutes into it, I was hooked. All I could think was, "Has that girl even seen the movie? It's awesome!" I couldn't look away the whole time. It was just so good. The suspense with Javier Bardem was just intense!!! Man, what an insane character. It was very Fargo-esque, but not quite as funny, even though we were laughing because you were scared and confused. Fargo was a little funnier in the sense that you probably shouldn't have been laughing, but you just were. No Country For Old Men was definetly a thriller but not in a strange and funny way. I don't know, just see the movie, that's all I can really say. Another great effect to this movie is that there wasn't any music, just in the end credits. I loved that! I am the movie score freak, and this movie did not need any music, infact, music would have botched it. Just watching and waiting was perfect.

No comments: